problems with lvm configurations

Joseph Rawson umeboshi3 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 13:16:58 CEST 2008

On Monday 13 October 2008 03:59:28 Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> [...]
>
> > I wasn't thinking as much about renaming vg's or lv's as much as
> > installing onto a system that already has them, and letting them be
> > removed.  Only the ones that are to be preserved would be renamed.  I
> > don't really consider it a common case either, but an administrator could
> > come across a bad naming scheme and want to rename the volumes (he may
> > have made the bad names himself and changed his mind later ;) ).
>
> Ok, preserving volumes should work fine (hopefully!), but, as said,
> renaming is not supported. I'd wait for further requests of this feature
> before thinking about an implementation.

That's cool.  It would probably be difficult to implement anyway.
> [...]
>
> > > You could of course feel free to prepare patches for the man-page, but
> > > I guess a README file would be a lot easier to write, and I'd integrate
> > > it with the man-page afterwards. Furthermore, the fai-guide could also
> > > be a nice point to include such kinds of information. Then, again, a
> > > README seems like a great start.
> >
> > The reason that I was offering is because most of the explanation of how
> > to make the configuration is in the bnf part, with a few examples.  I was
> > thinking of making it a bit more human readable. Although I might not be
> > able to capture it as fully as the bnf, I can probably stress the main
> > points.
>
> Oh, yes, that would be really really great!!
>
> > The reason I was thinking of the README file, is because I've never
> > written a manpage before.  I may have an easier time adding to the guide.
>
> I'd be really grateful if you could contribute some documentation, so
> please don't care too much about the formatting, I guess we can get the
> formatting done afterwards.

That's cool, I took a long look at the fai-guide.sgml file.  I tried my best
to edit it in both quanta and xemacs, and I gave up.  There's no end tags for
any of the sections or chapters.  I don't really mind there being no end tags
if each chapter was a file, but the whole thing is one big file, and I'm at a
loss to see how it's being edited.  Usually, when files get that big, I try
to split them up into smaller files.

I'll probably just write a simple text file in my spare time.

I just downloaded and installed the newest files (3.2.12-exp1).  I'm about to
try them out.

--
Thanks:
Joseph Rawson