FAI timetable for etch

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Fri Aug 25 00:38:46 CEST 2006

Hi guys,

here is my timetable for FAI till the release of etch.

freeze -2 weeks: last upload of FAI into unstable so it will be moved
                 to testing
freeze -4 weeks: no more major changes to FAI, since we need to test
		 everything
after freeze:    review and update documentation, only major and RC
		 bug fixes

Since freeze will be mid of october, we have time until mid of
september to make major changes and add new features to FAI 3. This
means we (anyone else working on FAI ATM?) have only four weeks for
all our plans from the FAI developers workshop. There are a lot of
planed features or enhancements for which I don't know if somebody is
working on it. I you are working on a certain part, please post a
short summary at least biweekly to the linux-fai-devel mailing list or
to me about your progress with this task.

All work should be organized with this web page
http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/rails/todos/list
Bugs are managed at bugs.debian.org.

Currently I'm a bit disappointed. I got no replies (zero!) to this mail:
http://www.uni-koeln.de/bin2/maillist/linux-fai-devel/20060807.142951/172695

We had a lot of good plans for FAI 3 at the developers workshop, but
currently I have the impression that I'm the only one working on the
TODO list. If I will get no help, some features will not be
implemented for etch and maybe a lot of bugs can't be solved until the
freeze. Remember that we need to upload two weeks before the freeze!
After that only RC bugs and the documentation can be fixed. I need
your help now. If you like to help, contact me so I know who's working
on which topics.

I you have any patches for me that I should apply, please make small
diffs! Once I got a patch whose diff was larger than the script
itself. I do not have the time to review such a huge diff (yes I
review every line of your patch and also try to understand every
line). Please send several small patches changing only one part
instead of creating a huge patch which changes a lot of different
things. Even if I like to add you changes it's impossible for me to
understand such huge diffs.

Sorry for this long mail, but IMO we are running out of time and I
hope that _we_ manage to get a lot of changed and enhancements into
FAI 3.

--
best regards Thomas