Proposal for a new disk configuration utility

Michael Tautschnig tautschn at model.in.tum.de
Sat Apr 29 16:54:48 CEST 2006

>     > size ::= [[:digit:]]+%?(-[[:digit:]]+%?)?
> do we need somethings like this?
>
> disk_config sdb
> logical - size_sda1 default ext2
>
> this means make this partition the same size as sda1. Isn't this needed
> for RAID setups?

see below...

> > # Create a softRAID
> > disk_config raid
> > raid1        /    sda1,sdd1  rw,errors=3Dremount-ro    ext2
> > # create a RAID-1 on /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdd1, format using mkfs.ext2
> > # and mount it as /
>
> How can I specify the size of the partitions sda1 and sdd1 in the
> example above? I think I can do it with the default lines for a
> partition but without specifying a mount point (or using -). Am I right?

yes, that's correct. The sda1,sdd1 thing replaces the size argument as the size
is specified implictly by the size of the partitions. And the partitions are
created as before. Things should work the same way for LVM physical volume
groups.

Two comments in my proposal were not correct:

primary /boot     20-100        rw                  ext3
# create a primary partition /dev/hda1 with a size of 20 MB and mount it
# read-write as /boot; it is formatted using ext3 filesystem

Here not a size of 20 MB, but a size between 20 MB and 100 MB is specified.

logical /var      10%-      rw                  ext3
# make /dev/hda7 at least 2000 MB

The size of the partition is at least 10% of the overall disk size, and not
(necessarily) 2000 MB.

Regards,