semi-automatic rebuild of fai-cd on i386 and amd64

Holger Levsen debian at layer-acht.org
Fri Feb 10 16:43:43 CET 2006

Hi,

On Friday 10 February 2006 16:24, you wrote:
> The last time I checked, etch make-fai-nfsroot would not work on amd64.
> Still waiting for libapt-*-perl.

Yeah, etch and sid break regulary. That's a feature/design not a bug :)

> I've got a 4-core opteron here, with lots of RAM.

Nice.

> I cannot share it before mid-next week though (and it's in private address
> space, and it will be reconfigured several times) ... but after that,
> probably something can be arranged. Will this be a nightly task?

No. Rebuilds are most interesting, when something has changed in the (fai-)
kernels or in fai(s configdir). In average I expect weekly builds or less.

What do you mean by reconfigured ? I would like to set it up in a "stable"
chroot, vserver or something like that. (A virtual environment which is
dedicated to that task. It would roughly need 5gb or so of harddrive space
and access to a mirror or fast proxy.)

> BTW, what about building ISOs for other archs as well?

fai-cd is i386 and amd64 only atm. By closing #339098 Thomas has decided this
is a feature as well. But I think Thomas would be happy about patches so that
fai-cd builds bootable cds on powerpc, alpha and whatnot.

Speaking of this I dont understand why its required (in the amd64-howto) to
copy the nfsroot.tgz to an i386 machine to execute fai-cd there. Thomas ?

regards,
	Holger