fai class hierarchy brainstorming

Juergen Kahnert Juergen.Kahnert at DESY.de
Tue Jan 24 07:09:57 CET 2006

On Mon, 23. Jan. 2006 at 22:54:58 +0100, Henning Sprang wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 18:10 +0100, Juergen Kahnert wrote:
> So you say having a means of specifying installation order is not
> useful, right?

I know only about the kernel-modules problem where this could be useful,
but this could be solved with silent_modules. It's not that nice and I
would like to use dependencies instead, but that's not(?) the way the
debian package system works.

Tell me in which other case it could be useful and how you solve things
like this:

I've a network without connection to the internet. Installing there a
desktop with msttcorefonts fonts won't work, so I add msttcorefonts-
into the package config.

If all packages are installed at one line this helps to avoid the
installation of this package.

If you install packages for each class, than you'll encounter something
like this:

    class A installs msttcorefonts and fails
    class B installs msttcorefonts- and don't has anything to do

or

    class B installs msttcorefonts- but it's not installed at this point
    class A installs msttcorefonts and fails

Only if you recognize this dependency you make:

    class A +B installs msttcorefonts msttcorefonts-

Only this way it's skipped.

> > tsort ;-)
>
> Do you have an example?

Ask google, you'll get lots of examples. :P

But most of them are crap. ;-)

Check those with solving the dependencies of object files for linking.

> What do yo mean by meta classes? A class that does nothing itself,
> only defines dependencies/other classes?

Yep, exactly. I like small and easy classes, but it's not handy to list
them all...

> I explained the goals in the first sentences of the first mail in this
> thread ;) Please read and ask further questions if you don't agree with
> these goals, or think they aren't solved with the proposal.

The goal is ok, I'm not sure if this is the best way reaching it.

For example, did you never used "if ifclass ..." at your scripts? Or did
you never used "package install <class>" at your package configs? How to
easily rename a class which uses those features?

Maybe we need a class-management-system, some tools doing things like
installing, removing, renaming, ... classes or at least helping by doing
those tasks.

    Jürgen