fai class hierarchy brainstorming

Juergen Kahnert Juergen.Kahnert at DESY.de
Fri Jan 20 18:10:48 CET 2006

On Fri, 20. Jan. 2006 at 17:01:35 +0100, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> > (1) the classic class directory
>
> Do we need it in that kind of hierarchy or even more, does it make
> sense?

Good question, that was also my first question. ;-)

> > (3) a file which defines all packages needed for
> > that class. Should we make a directory as
> > before? maybe we want some packages be only
> > installed if another class is defined?
> > On the other hand, the proposed way we don't need to name the file
> > CLASSNAME in a directory package_config. I think a class name should
> > appear in as little locations as possible, to make class renaming easy.
>
> IMHO this should be a directory and the files should be named
> <NR>[-NAME] such that the tasks could read them one by one and things
> like Jürgen's troubles of installing alsa before kernel-image could be
> solved by putting kernel-image into some file with a lower number.

The packages are installed all at once, not one by one. So it won't help
to install kernel-modules. Or we have to change that to.

> > (8) a file with a list of classes this class depends on
>
> A great idea, but IMHO hard to implement - how would you deal with those
> dependencies, what would they mean to FAI? We'd need to take care of
> recursive dependencies!

tsort ;-)

Indeed, would be nice. And automatically solved dependencies would help
to define meta classes.

> What about the files/ directory? Wasn't that a major concern?

Good question, I'd the same one. :)

> I think this is a really great idea and well thought too,

Which problem is solved this way?

    Jürgen