fai class hierarchy brainstorming

risc at volumehost.com risc at volumehost.com
Thu Jan 19 23:00:52 CET 2006

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 10:06:23PM +0100, Eugen Paiuc wrote:
> Henning Sprang a écrit :
>
> >Hi,
> >I put some more thoughts into the class hierarchy topic, and wrote them
> >down.
> >My Goal is to help sharing, copying and distributing single classes
> >which solve specific problems, as well as improving manageability of FAI
> >install configurations in general.
> >[...skip..]
> >

> fai_meta_class { arch, meta_dists, final_net_structure, final_use, ...}
> arch={ classic arch: i386,  ppc, all_arch, ...}
> meta_dists={linux_multi_distribution, xxxbsd, hurd, other_new_free_kernels }
i'd add "linux-debian" "linux-ubuntoo" etc. otherwise, i agree, the above looks like attributes necissary to package a FAI class.

> final_net_structure={grid, cluster, vlan, lan, ...}
> final_use={servers_of, clients_of, ...}

these seem to be too specific to your way of using FAI, for me, it'd be

target_network={home, work, friends, ...}
i'm keying off of hostname for what use a given host is, and developing casses under those...

i suppose it'd help to give a listing of some of my classes, and what they are meant to represent, as classes can represent a various number of things:

HWTVBARCO: my barcodata is hooked to this box.
SERVERWWW: this is a webserver
SERVERWWWNFS: this is a webserver for NFS(the buisness).
SERVERMAIL: this is a mailserver.
SERVERMAILPARANOID: spam protection, virus protection, filtering...

> So, ...
>
> Regards,
>
> Eugen

hope this helps, probably dosent...