[Fai-commit] r3230 - people/lazyboy/fai-2.9-multidistribution/debian

henning henning_sprang at gmx.de
Thu Jan 12 12:30:41 CET 2006

Henning Glawe wrote:
> wouldn't it be the easiest to run debootstrap in task_unpackbase and leave it
> to the user to hook unpackbase away in case he/she needs something different?
> thus you could have just one nfsroot, but use classes instead to decide which
> distro to install...

Hmm, you make me think that I can support other distributions completely
without changing FAI itself...
I didn't work that much with hooks before, but yes, by hooking away and
replacing unpackbase and install_packages, I can use whatever base image
I want, and whatever package installation method/package manager I want.
That's great.

The only downside of this is, that the stuff that helps installing other
distributions isn't packageable, as well as easily updateable with newer
version with the current design and location of the configspace (as
discussed elsewhere).
But then, maybe I's better invest my time and energy in making a
proposal for ways to make classes in FAI configdir updateable and
packageable, as discussed in another thread (and needed anyway).

Henning