[Fai-commit] r3230 - people/lazyboy/fai-2.9-multidistribution/debian

henning henning_sprang at gmx.de
Thu Jan 12 12:13:03 CET 2006

Thomas Lange wrote:
> A good solution would be if debootsttrap would search for it scripts
> (sarge,sid, hoary,...) not only in /usr/lib/debootstrap/scripts/ but
> also in $HOME/.... Then every user could download new scripts for
> debootstrap and build other nfsroots. I'm not sure if other parts of
> deboostrap differ between the Debian and Ubuntu version.

I am sure that they differ. I looked at them.

It's true that I do not need to include the sid debootsrap script in the
Ubuntu hoary dist area, as I did, but you'll need the debootstrap script
itself, plus the distribution specific script from the location you
mention here.

What I propose is not so much different from what you say here - as
written in the mail you reply to, I also let the user download manually
a package himself if he wants so.
But the scripts themselves aren't easily available for download without
the package, and I just provide help for the user so he doesn't have to
find, download and extract the package himself. So I just want add some
usability, no different functionality, and it won't result in much more,
or complicated code.

Apart from all that, I think about (and started) to move the
fai-distributions package out of the FAI source package for various
reasons, so the only changes necessary to support other distributions in
FAI are the small changes in subroutines-linux, which are made in a way
that that FAI will still work exactly the same whith existing configdirs
and the existing simple examples.
Please look at these small changes, and see if you can include these in FAI.

Maybe adding a new, non-deb-based distribution would make another small
change to install_packages necessary, but this can also be made in a way
that it's 100% compatible to existing stuff.

Henning