Questions/Ojections about FAI 2.9 upcoming release

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Mon Dec 12 13:47:54 CET 2005

Hello,
I have some serious concerns with the 2.9 FAI release just announced on
IRC.

Why do I have them?

- this release has not been announced on any mailing list before, and I
don't think it's a good idea to make the IRC the premier information and
communication medium for important coordination things like that. I can
deliver lots of reasons for that if there's some doubt why I say so.

- There wasn't even publications of beta *.debs for this release, which
can increase the likelyhood of more testing

- (maybe because of the first) it's completely unclear (at least to me)
what this release is about - is it the sarge-fixes release, or the
completely repackaged FAI?

- I doubt that this code has been tested enough. we had quality problems
before because of releases in a hurry. (this can be neglected in case we
are talking about the sarge-fixes release, I think that is tested
enough)

I there an important need to release right now, and no way to wait til
january?

Henning