should packages begin using /srv ?

Holger Levsen debian at layer-acht.org
Fri Dec 9 16:07:24 CET 2005

Hi,

policy currently mandates FHS 2.1, while FHS 2.3 is the current upstream
version. /srv is not mentioned in FHS 2.1 - but /srv is created by base-files
or debootstrap even in sarge (cannot find it in the code at a quick glance..
the base-files/FAQ says its debotstrap, but whatever..

In #340608 Steve Langasek writes "FHS 2.3 for etch is still an open question,
as there are some transition issues.  But as far as I'm concerned, /srv is
fine for packages to begin using."

In
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#SRVDATAFORSERVICESPROVIDEDBYSYSTEM
/srv is described as "/srv contains site-specific data which is served by this
system. Rationale: This main purpose of specifying this is so that users may
find the location of the data files for particular service, and so that
services which require a single tree for readonly data, writable data and
scripts (such as cgi scripts) can be reasonably placed. [...]"

So my question is simply: should packages begin using /srv now ? What is the
release teams opinion and decission on this ? (Steve commented on IRC that it
would be good to have this decission made by the team and in an archived
media.)

regards,
	Holger