How to keep overview of branches and merges ( was /people/lazyboy/r-2_8_4-fai-cd_sarge_fixes - two bugfixes merged together)

Holger Levsen debian at layer-acht.org
Fri Oct 28 14:11:34 CEST 2005

Hi,

On Thursday 27 October 2005 13:02, Henning Sprang wrote:
> > I would rather prefer a commit-log policy (again: keep it simple &
> > short), so that we all use "merge" instead of "merging"...
> That was just one example of what I think can go wrong.

Then please tell us the other examples.

> I have no imagination how it would be done for FAI when trying to
> compare a list of available patches in some people branches against the
> log of some release branch to see if all those patches are already in
> how would that look like?

In my opinion nobody should try to follow all peoples branches closely. Its
not doable with >10 branches. IMHO it has to work the other way: Thomas
should ask for (specific) fixes and then people should point him to their
branches.

Of course this telling can and should not be done on demand, but rather
permanently via
http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/index.php/People_branches

> > A spreadsheet or database would bei overkill, IMO.
> I am using Openoffice spreadsheets for lots of stuff, so maybe that's
> why I have trouble to see why it's such an overkill to use one one once
> a week to document a merge.

Because openoffice has huge ressource requirements, because it's another tool
(svn logs, svn, mail, bts, faiwiki, diff plus another, openoffice) - so I
would suggest to simply use the wiki.

> The one project I worked on with multiple branches and merges, used a
> spreadsheet successfully, in addition to log messages. That's what I can
> say from my experience.

That was a crappy project with lots of _release_ branches. (If I think of the
same project ;-) FAI doesnt have so many release branches which need to be
coordinated much more carefully...

 (crappy in some aspects...)

> Holger, how does the D.-I. project you are working on handle that? Do
> other projects with multiple branches and merges use a
> "commit-log-policy-only" solution successfully?

More people have access to trunk, people work on their branches and - from
time to time and coordinated - push them into trunk themselves. AFAIU.

regards,
	Holger