comments on the package split

Holger Levsen debian at layer-acht.org
Wed Oct 19 17:17:24 CEST 2005

Hi,

please don't cc: me, I'm subscribed.

On Wednesday 19 October 2005 11:28, Thomas Lange wrote:
>     > - "conflicts: fai" for every package is not neccessary. In fact,
>     > after thinking about it, I would add a "provides: fai" (or replaces?)
>     > to fai-client and thats it. That way, (in etch) fai-client would be
>     > installed on every system, where currently fai is installed - this is
>     > needed for not breaking softupdates (in a friendly, easy way). Those
>     > machines which are fai-servers need to get fai-server and/or
>     > fai-nfsroot installed "manually".
> I think there are more install server out there than softupdate
> clients and currently only very experienced users (maybe only some fai
> developers) are using softupdate. IMO they can manually upgrade their
> clients and I would like to better support the upgrade of the install
> servers. IMO conflicts is needed because you can't install both on one
> machine.

Then (if with both you mean fai and fai-server) do a provides or replaces.
That way, fai gets uninstalled if/when fai-client gets installed. We can then
announce big and loudly, that people need to install the fai-server package
on their fai-server...

>     > - fai-quickstarts doesn't need to depend fai-client, as it allready
>     > depends fai-server, which depends fai-client :-)
> I know, but otherwise lintian is complaining.

Whats the excact message ? Cant this be fixed with a lintian override ?

>     > I was surprised to see fai-server recommend||suggest  rsh-server,
>     > wget, syslinux, ssh, debmirror, mknbi, apt-move, mkinitrd-cd, grub
>     > while fai-quickstart doesnt depend those.
> I know that some of these are missing. I will fix that.

Ok.

>     > I would also make fai-kernels a depends of the fai-nfsroot package
>     > for now.
> Why?

Because you need some kind of kernel (or rather it's modules) inside the
nfsroot. Without those modules, the nfsroot doesnt work.

regards,
	Holger