fai package splitting

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Tue Oct 18 15:30:47 CEST 2005

Hi, some questions about this:

- why does fai-server not depend on deboostrap? I can't imagine what a
FAI-Server would do if he's not able to create an nfsroot, which needs
debootstrap. And, as long as fai-kernels aren't made completely
superflous (I don't know about the exact state of this process), as far
as i know an nfsroot is not really usable as long as you didn't create
it when fai-kernels where installed on the host system.

- how and where do we document the dependencies you need for a fai-cd?
proposal: either fai-cd and fai-mirror should check themselves for all
dependencies they have, and tell the user exactly which package is
missing for them to run fine.
Or depend all of them in fai-quickstart, because the easiest, fastest,
and most fault-tolerant (no bad network services involved) way to get
started with FAI is fai-cd (as soon as the bugs from 2.8.4 are finally
fixed). Maybe we should have both - the scripts checking their depends
and giving clear and helpful error messages plus quickstart
dependencies.

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 18:29 +0200, Thomas Lange wrote:
> I have put some new Debian packages (for testing purpose only) into
> http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/download/developers.
> (fai-kernel.. are some the old packages)

Hint: You don't explicitly need to create and upload such packages,
everybody can easily create them on it's own if you commit and just say
"see trunk in subversion" - or are the packages different from what's in
trunk now?

> These show the new splitting of the fai package into several
> packages. I'm thinking about moving the simplex examples from the
> fai-doc packages to fai-quickstart, but I'm not sure if this makes
> sense. What do you think?

I think it's cool to have a quickstart package that enables starting
users very easy with as less manual interaction as possible, so a
quickstart package that puts the examples readily in /srv/fai or
wherever we consider is the correct location for the FAI_CONFIGDIR
instead of /usr/local/share/fai is a good idea, if we get it working
nicely.

Now I only looked at those packages and the sources, will try installing
them and create a fai-cd later, when I find the time.

Henning