disscussion about new format of disk_config files

Holger Levsen debian at layer-acht.org
Sat Oct 8 19:21:02 CEST 2005

Hi,

On Wednesday 05 October 2005 16:34, Henning Sprang wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 16:25 +0200, Michal Svamberg wrote:
> > Hi,
> > actual disk_config not supported this features:
> >  - RAID (mdadm)
> >  - LVM (lvm2)
> >  - flat disks (disks withou partitions)
> >  - change geometry of disk
> >  - xen support (there exists only partitions, whole (flat) disk not)
> >  - other problems?
> "lazyformat" doesn't work reliably, and "preserve" can only handle disks
> that are already formatted.

We (Henning, Thomas and me) have just discussed this at a automatic
installation workshop...

preserve and preserve_in_any_case should be expressed of the end of the
partition-line (like lazyconfig) and not at the partition-size position as
its done currently.

Also some way of setting up crypted partitions should be possible.

The design of the disc_config file format should be save in the fai-wiki as it
less likely to get lost there ;-)

regards,
	Holger (fever keeps me from writing a better mail / just create the wiki
page. And I dont think the discussion is over yet :-)