porting fai to rpm distributions: s/apt/smartpm/g?

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Tue Jul 26 15:34:18 CEST 2005

Hi Axel,
I am finally back and able to start working on this, the FAI wiki is
also nearly ready, a reinstall from Thomas is now on the schedule, a
last test, then everything should work...

I read (and forwareded to this list) your last mail, as this one goes on
with the same topic I'll only answer this one:

On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 19:26 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> [...]
>
> As a follow-up: I talked with Henning Glawe on smart integration
> today, and he has some reservations on whether smart would nicely fit
> into fai due to API concerns. Henning G. would rather see a less
> invasive proof of concept by using apt for rpm, but as outlined in the
> previous mail, I personally think that would be a dead-end.

I think we should, for the first proof-of concept, be much simpler: we
should, for each distribution we support, create an interface in which
we can feed FAI's package config files format (at least for the PACKAGES
install method). It doesn't matter if this interface will wrap apt (what
FAI already does, hm, or was ist aptitude?), rpm, or another
distribution specific installer and dependency resolver, it does only
matter that we can feed simple package lists in it. This is for the
start the simples way I can think of.

> I would suggest that if smart would be even remotely considered for
> fai, then the fai team could set up specifications they'd like smart
> to fulfill, and present them to the smart developers.

If you want to try to make smartpm the above mentioned tool, in which we
can feed our package_config files, and if smartpm has a potential to be
used as this, you can go for that, would be great if could reuse some
stuff, in case we need it, because i think the above solution is really
simple to do.

Henning