[intermedia-info] immermittwochs: .mbrmonthy: Vortrag von Kimmo Modig am 2.11.2015

Torsten Meyer t.meyer at uni-koeln.de
Do Nov 19 08:35:47 CET 2015

Liebe Studierende,
liebe Kolleginnen und Kollegen,
sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,

in Fortführung aktueller Positionierungen erwartet Sie am Mittwoch, den 25.11.2015 um 18 Uhr in unserer Reihe .mbr_monthly ein Vortrag von Kimmo Modig: »Art is meaningless and I want my life to mean something«.
Alle Interessierten sind herzlich eingeladen, dabei zu sein.

Mittwoch, den 25.11.2015 | 18 Uhr
Block B | R 2.212 (ehemals 235) | Gronewaldstraße 2 | Köln

Kimmo Modig: »Art is meaningless and I want my life to mean something«.

To write about your plans is to infuse your future self in shame. Here, then: I wake up every morning thinking I need to start doing something else, counting the hours I need to stay awake. As most of my peers, I'm suffering from depression. I find myself thinking "Art is not the problem nor the solution." I love art, just as I like sports, but I don't believe in taste, skill, or that individual artists matter that much (?). There are other issues more pressing. Art is something I ended up doing. I might as well not do it this time next year. I'll pick up anything that pays, or keeps me going in some way. How did you end up here? I'm terribly scared of coming over to Cologne pretending that 1. I have something to give to you, 2. it's somehow super easy for me to receive what you want to give. To be open is not the same as accepting change or accommodating other voices. To let others in, in a way that doesn't destroy you: how? We have a few hours together. I'm not sure if doing this is a good idea, whether we all should be doing something else. But I've promised, you got to, we're here, this is what we do with our time, and on it goes. Let's stay true about being in a space together.

Moods: Bitter, anti-productive, nihilist, loving, desperate, depressed, posi, lost, serious, giving up, mortal, present.
Lastly: I've done this before, and I'll make sure we'll be OK, however deep we might find ourselves in.

For context: http://kimmomodig.com <http://kimmomodig.com/>

Kimmo Modig (b. 1981, Finland) makes talks and online commentary, while mainting a collaborative practice. His video works have been shown in various so-called net art screenings around the world. Modig is currently a resident at the White Building in London. In January 2016, Modig will show new work in S T O R E Gallery, Dresden, with Jennifer Chan, Shawné Holloway, and Georges Jacotey.

Weitere Infos: http://wp.me/p1fxoj-XV <http://wp.me/p1fxoj-XV>

Preview immermittwochs im WiSe15/16:

2.12.15, 16:00 Heinrich Lüber, ZHdK Zürich, live in Zürich, Public Viewing in Köln
9.12.15, Eröffnung des Labor für Kunst und Forschung / Mass Observation 2.0
16.12.15, 16:00 Doris Schuhmacher-Chilla, Uni Köln: Anthropologische Kunsttheorie
13.1.16, 16:00 Stephan Porombka, UDK Berlin, live in Köln, Public Viewing in Luzern: Making Of
27.1.16, 16:00 Ute Vorkoeper, Hamburg: Treffende Konstellationen. Oder: Die Kunst, (Kunst) nicht zu vermitteln.

Herzliche Grüße
Torsten Meyer

Prof. Dr. Torsten Meyer

Universität zu Köln