setup-storage and GPT partition tables with EFI boot partition

Ulrich Zehl ulrich-listen at topfen.net
Mon Jul 6 21:55:00 CEST 2015

Hi!

First of all, I was previously not subscribed to this list, so please
excuse any broken references.

Kerim Gueney wrote:

> Do note the new "efi" partition type. It applies the vFAT filesystem
> onto the partition and sets the partition type to EFI System Partition.
>
> We'd appreciate it, if you guys could test it and reported any bugs you
> encounter.

I have some remarks, and one bug report.

To create an EFI System partition (ESP; gdisk partition type EF00) with
parted, you need to set a partition's "boot" flag (see [0]). The bug is:
The new code sets a partition's "bios_grub" flag, resulting in (gdisk)
partition type EF02.

Also, I feel that "esp" is a better identifier than "efi", as the former
abbreviation appears in other literature and seems less ambiguous.

I have attached a patch that addresses these issues (based on
2dadbeeaddaa7f6c778146ad35782281de5b074d rather than HEAD because I feel it
shows the differences better). Please feel free to use it if you find it
helpful.

Additionally, I want to point out that you can create an EFI System
partition without the new feature with the "bootable:<number>" disk option,
like so:

disk_config disk1 disklabel:gpt fstabkey:uuid bootable:1
primary         /boot/efi        200            vfat    rw
[...]

Regards,
Ulrich

[0] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#GPT_partitioned_disks