semi-automatic rebuild of fai-cd on i386 and amd64

Holger Levsen debian at layer-acht.org
Fri Feb 10 15:38:56 CET 2006

Hi,

I just learned that http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/download/amd64/
boots a 2.6.14 kernel, which cannot be the latest fai kernel 1.10.2 which
uses 2.6.15 and has some new drivers included.

http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/download/amd64/fai-cd-amd64-howto.txt
is a nice howto which describes the few steps you need to do to build that
cd.

I would like to setup a semi automatic build script (which needs to be kicked
off manually but does everything else automatically), which then builds four
cds: etch-i386, sid-i386, etch-amd64 and sid-amd64.

Unfortunatly I do not have access to an amd64 box. And unfortunatly
make-fai-nfsroot (which needs to be run to build the cd) needs root, fakeroot
is not enough. So either someone else must trust me (eg because I "only" get
root in a virtual environment) or run the script for me (I can write it and
test on i386 before :)

So, I you have amd64 hardware and want to share it and help, please speak up.

I'd have enough bandwidth to host the isos, but would be happier if they would
reside on http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/download - Thomas ?

regards,
	Holger

P.S.: Thomas, I would reword "tranfer these tarball to a i386 machine, extract
them at the default location" in fai-cd-amd64-howto.txt to "tranfer this
tarball to a i386 machine and extract it $NFSROOT (as defined
in /etc/fai.conf)"