comments on the package split

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Wed Oct 19 11:28:43 CEST 2005

    > - "conflicts: fai" for every package is not neccessary. In fact, after
    > thinking about it, I would add a "provides: fai" (or replaces?) to fai-client
    > and thats it. That way, (in etch) fai-client would be installed on every
    > system, where currently fai is installed - this is needed for not breaking
    > softupdates (in a friendly, easy way). Those machines which are fai-servers
    > need to get fai-server and/or fai-nfsroot installed "manually".
I think there are more install server out there than softupdate
clients and currently only very experienced users (maybe only some fai
developers) are using softupdate. IMO they can manually upgrade their
clients and I would like to better support the upgrade of the install
servers. IMO conflicts is needed because you can't install both on one machine.

    > - fai-quickstarts doesn't need to depend fai-client, as it allready depends
    > fai-server, which depends fai-client :-)
I know, but otherwise lintian is complaining.

    > The split itself did not cause any negative comments (I also told about the
    > fai-quickstart package only consisting of a depends:-line, a script and a
    > copyright.)

    > I was surprised to see fai-server recommend||suggest  rsh-server, wget,
    > syslinux, ssh, debmirror, mknbi, apt-move, mkinitrd-cd, grub while
    > fai-quickstart doesnt depend those.
I know that some of these are missing. I will fix that.

    > I would also make fai-kernels a depends of the fai-nfsroot package for now.
Why?