comments on the package split

Holger Levsen debian at layer-acht.org
Wed Oct 19 09:46:35 CEST 2005

Hi,

I've spoke with Jörg Jaspert, the ftp team member, who currently does most of
the NEW work about the new fai binary packages.

We basically had a look at the new debian/control:

- "conflicts: fai" for every package is not neccessary. In fact, after
thinking about it, I would add a "provides: fai" (or replaces?) to fai-client
and thats it. That way, (in etch) fai-client would be installed on every
system, where currently fai is installed - this is needed for not breaking
softupdates (in a friendly, easy way). Those machines which are fai-servers
need to get fai-server and/or fai-nfsroot installed "manually".

- fai-quickstarts doesn't need to depend fai-client, as it allready depends
fai-server, which depends fai-client :-)

The split itself did not cause any negative comments (I also told about the
fai-quickstart package only consisting of a depends:-line, a script and a
copyright.)

I was surprised to see fai-server recommend||suggest  rsh-server, wget,
syslinux, ssh, debmirror, mknbi, apt-move, mkinitrd-cd, grub while
fai-quickstart doesnt depend those.

I would also make fai-kernels a depends of the fai-nfsroot package for now.

regards,
	Holger