[Seminars in Neurosciences] external talk next Monday

Seminars in Neurosciences zoologie-neurokoll at uni-koeln.de
Mi Jun 26 11:46:46 CEST 2019

Dear all, I would like to bring a talk to your attention that will be
held in the framework of the "Zoologisches Kolloquium". Please note
the location, which is seminar room 2.009 in the Biocenter
Sincerely, Matthias Gruhn

Kolloquium des Instituts für Zoologie
im
SEMINARRAUM DES BIOZENTRUMS 2.009
Montag, den 01.07.2019 / 12:00 Uhr – 13:00 Uhr s.t.

„Zebrafish and Medaka visual social interactions – a comparative study – ”
Dr. Yasuko Isoe
Postdoctoral fellow, Harvard University,
Dept. of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Florian Engert Lab
Host: Prof. Dr. Kei Ito

abstract:
Social animals organize their spatial arrangement via decision-making to
approach or avoid others. We use two model fish species to investigate the
neural mechanisms at play. Adult zebrafish and medaka fish are known to show
different spacing behaviors: the former gather in random orientation
(shoaling),
whereas the latter align their head direction (schooling). Although
whole-brain
imaging is possible only with the transparent zebrafish larvae, they
do not show
apparent approaching behavior. We developed a behavioral rig with mirrors to
extract decision-making information from a single fish in social contexts with
the visual inputs from virtual other individuals. We found for the
first time the
larval social-like approaching behaviors: zebrafish swim towards mirrors,
whereas medaka fish swim parallel to them. The difference may resemble their
respective adult behavior. We further designed several rigs and simulated the
effect of mirrored visual stimuli, which would provide insights on the
primitive
way of social decision-making and underlying neural mechanisms..

--
Dr. Matthias Gruhn
Universitaet zu Koeln