[Seminars in Neurosciences] seminar this Friday

Seminars in Neurosciences zoologie-neurokoll at uni-koeln.de
Mo Nov 26 09:46:31 CET 2018

Dear all, this Friday we will have an exciting seminar again in our
seminar series, please note the different time and place!

Friday, November 30th 2018, 4:30 PM s.t.
BIOCENTER, seminar room (1.007)
Prof. Justin London
Carleton College, Northfield, MN, USA

“The Tempo Anchoring Effect: A window into the relationship between
beats, groove, and perceived musical tempo”

Abstract:
In a recent study of tempo perception, London et al. (2016) presented
participants with R&B songs which had been "time-stretched", that is,
sped up or slowed down without otherwise altering their pitch or
timbre.  They found that while participants' relative tempo judgments
(original versus altered versions) were correct, they no longer
corresponded to the beat rate of each stimulus, which we called the
"Tempo Anchoring Effect" (TAE).  Four experiments which further probe
the relation between beat rate, time stretching, and perceived tempo
are presented here.  Experiment 1 is a replication of London, et al.
(2016) using the original stimuli.  Experiment 2 replaces the Motown
stimuli with disco music, experiment 3 uses looped drum patterns, and
experiment 4 had participants tapping along with the original stimuli.
  The TAE was replicated in Experiment 1, present to a lesser degree
in Experiment 2, and absent in Experiment 3.  The TAE persisted in
experiment 4, even when participants accurately tapped at the beat
rate of the stimuli. Experiments 2 and 3 also found that participants
were able to make tempo judgments in accordance with BPM rates for
stimuli that were not time-stretched.  These results imply that our
sense of speed/tempo is a fairly high-level cognitive appraisal, while
related perceptions (e.g., sensori-motor coupling, energeistic
assessments, etc.) occur on lower cognitive or pre-cognitive levels.

Gäste sind herzlich willkommen/Guests are welcome, a flyer is attached

--
Dr. Matthias Gruhn
Universitaet zu Koeln