[Seminars in Neurosciences] Fwd:[ias-events] INM Seminar on 25 March 2014, 10:00

Seminars in Neurosciences zoologie-neurokoll at uni-koeln.de
Do Mär 13 14:16:15 CET 2014

Dear everyone,
   here is the forward from Sigrun Korsching of an invitation to a
Neuroscience talk at the Forschungszentrum Juelich on March 25th:

You are cordially invited to participate in the INM Seminar

Tuesday, 25th of March, 10:00h

Bldg. 16.15, Room 2009, ground-floor

*Prof. Christof Koch*

Allen Institute for Brain Science, Seattle, USA*__*

*_Exploring Cortex in a High-Throughput Manner by Building Brain
Observatories_***

**

*Abstract:*

The Allen Institute for Brain Science has, over the past ten years,
produced a series of brain atlases (www.brain-map.org
<http://www.brain-map.org>). These are large (3 TB, >1 million slides)
public resources, integrating genome-wide gene expression, and
neuroanatomical data across the entire brain for developing and adult
humans, non-human primates and mice, complemented by high-resolution,
cellular-based anatomical connectivity data in several thousand mice. It
is the single largest integrated neuroscience database world-wide.
Anybody can freely access this data without any restrictions.

We are embarked on an ambitious 10-year initiative to understand the
structure and function of the neocortex and associated satellite
structures in humans and mice. We are setting up high through-put
pipelines to exhaustively characterize the morphology, electrophysiology
and transcriptome of cell types as well as their synaptic
interconnections in the human neocortex (via a combination of fetal,
neurosurgical and post-mortem tissues & human stem cells differentiated
into forebrain neurons) and in the laboratory mouse. We are building
brain observatories to image the activities of neurons throughout the
cortico-thalamic system in behaving mice, to record their electrical
activities, and to analyze their connectivity at the ultra-structural
level. We are constructing biophysically detailed as well as simplified
computer simulations of these networks and of their information
processing capabilities. In keeping with the Allen Institute for Brain
Science's core value of open science, all data, knowledge and tools from
this initiative will be shared with the broader scientific community.

*There will be coffee and drinks after the talk.*

*Host:*

Prof. Dr. Markus Diesmann & Prof. Dr. Sonja Grün

--
Dr. Sabine Hoefler-Thierfeldt
Juelich Supercomputing Centre

Phone: +49 2461 61 6765
Fax: +49 2461 61 2810
E-mail:S.Hoefler-Thierfeldt at fz-juelich.de
WWW:http://www.fz-juelich.de/ias/jsc/

JSC is the coordinator of the
John von Neumann Institute for Computing
and member of the
Gauss Centre for Supercomputing

----

------------------------------------