[Seminars in Neurosciences] seminars in neuroscience - special

Seminars in Neurosciences zoologie-neurokoll at uni-koeln.de
Mi Jul 23 09:53:52 CEST 2008

Dear Colleagues - Liebe Kolleginnen und Kollegen

Diesen Donnerstag (24.07.) gibt es spontan ein neurobiologisches Kolloquium
ausser der Reihe!
This Thursday, we will have a spontaneous seminar in
Neuroscience due to an unforseen opportunity brought to us by Andreas Husch (AG
Kloppenburg).

Der Vortrag beginnt wie immer um 16:30 s.t./ the talk starts at 4:30 pm sharp
(as always)

24.07.2008
um 16:30 s.t. im kleinen Hörsaal des Zoologischen Instituts

Shane Windsor
Ecology, Evolution & Behaviour
School of Biological Sciences
University of Auckland
New Zealand

" Hydrodynamic imaging by blind cave fish"

Gäste sind herzlich willkommen, guests are welcome!

Abstract: Hydrodynamic imaging by blind cave fish

Blind Mexican cave fish occur in deep subterranean caves where there
is no light.  These eyeless fish rely on hydrodynamic signals
processed by their mechanosensory lateral line sensory system to
obtain "hydrodynamic images" of their environment. This talk will give
an overview of these extraordinary fish and how they use fluid
dynamics to sense their world. I will be presenting my PhD research,
which used image analysis techniques to measure the fish's swimming
behaviour, as well as Particle Image Velocimetry to measure the flow
fields around the fish, and Computation Fluid Dynamics models to
investigate the mechanics of hydrodynamic imaging.

--
Dr. Matthias Gruhn
Universitaet zu Koeln