[unix-ws] PG 2000 --- Call for Participation

pg2000 at csis.hku.hk pg2000 at csis.hku.hk
Son Jul 30 14:02:19 CEST 2000

Our apology if you receive multiple copies of this message.

      P G  2 0 0 0 --- C A L L   F O R   P A R T I C I P A T I O N
  |===================================================================|
  |              http://www.csis.hku.hk/pg2000/                       |
  |	 	    PACIFIC GRAPHICS 2000  (PG 2000)                  |
  |The Eighth Pacific Conference on Computer Graphics and Applications|
  |                 October 3 - 5, 2000                               |
  |	   Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel and Towers, Hong Kong             |
  |===================================================================|

Dear colleagues,

	Pacific Graphic 2000 (PG 2000) will be held in Oct. 3-5, 2000
in Hong Kong. The technical program of PG 2000 comprises presentations
of 40 papers selected from over 120 high quality submissions,
representing 13 countries/regions. Hong Kong, the City of Life, adds
more to the attraction of PG 2000 for you to consider attending this
exciting conference.

	You will find in this email

	I) Preliminary program of PG 2000.

	II) Registration form.
		(Early registration deadline: Sept. 1, 2000.)

	III) Hotel reservation form.
		(Booking before Sept. 1 is recommended.)
		=======================================

All this information is also available at the conference website
http://www.csis.hku.hk/pg2000/.  You are invited visit this site
for more information about PG 2000 and Hong Kong.

	We look forward to meeting you at PG 2000.

Organizing Committee
Pacific Graphics 2000

	 P R E L I M I N A R Y     P R O G R A M
	P A C I F I C    G R A P H I C S   2 0 0 0

	   (http://www.csis.hku.hk/pg2000/)

(Time slots to be finalized in the final program.)

====================================
Day One: (Tuesday, 3 October, 2000)
====================================

08:00 -- 08:30: Registration

08:30 -- 08:40:  Welcome Session

Session 1: Rendering
====================

08:40 -- 09:05
 Simulating the Aurora Borealis
	Gladimir V. G. Baranoski, Jon G. Rokne, Peter Shirley,
	Trond Trondsen, Rui Bastos
                 University of Utah, U.S.A.

09:05 -- 09:30
 Rendering Iridescent Colors Appearing on a Natural Object
	Hideki Hirayama, Y. Yamaji, K. Kaneda, Y. Monden
                 Hiroshima University, Japan

09:30 -- 09:55
 Rendering Natural Waters
	Simon Premoze, Michael Ashikhmin
                University of Utah, U.S.A.

09:55 -- 10:20
 Interactive Rendering Method for Displaying Shafts of Light
	Yoshinori Dobashi, Tsuyoshi Yamamoto, Tomoyuki Nishita
                 Hokkaido University, Japan

--------------|
Coffee Break: | 10:20 -- 10:50
--------------|

Session 2: Global Illumination  (10:50 -- 12:30)
==============================

10:50 -- 11:15
 Handling Dynamic Changes in Hierarchical Radiosity
                        Through Interaction Meshes
	Samuel Carré ,  Jean-Marc Deniel Erwan Guillou, Kadi Bouatouch
                 IRISA, Rennes, France

11:15 -- 11:40
 Enhanced Automatic Creation of Multi-Purpose Object
		Hierarchies
	Joerg Haber, Marc Stamminger, Hans-Peter Seidel
                Max-Planck Institute, Saarbrucken, Germany

11:40 -- 12:05
 A New Adaptive Density Estimator for Particle-Tracing Radiosity
	Kam Wah Wong
                The University of Hong Kong

12:05 -- 12:30
 Acceleration of Monte Carlo Path Tracing in
                        General Environments
	Frederic Perez, Ignacio Martin, Francois X. Sillion,
        Xavier Pueyo
            GCG/IIiA-UdG, Spain

###################
LUNCH BREAK		12:30 -- 14:00
##################

Session 3: Text Layout, Rendering, and Visibility (14:00 -- 15:40)

14:00 -- 14:25
 Arbitrary Precise Orientation Specification for Layout of Text
        Tatiana Surazhsky, Gershon Elber
                Technion, Israel

14:25 -- 14:50
  Line-Art Rendering of 3D-Models
        Christian Roessl, Leif P. Kobbelt
                 Max-Planck Institute, Saarbrucken, Germany

14:50 -- 15:15
  Practical Texture Mapping on Free-form Surfaces
        Yuuya Iwakiri, Yuuichi Omori, Toyohisa Kaneko
                 Toyohashi University of Technology, JAPAN

15:15 -- 15:40
 Global Visibility in the Presence of Curved Occluders
        George Baciu and Cliff C.Y. Cheung
        	The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology

--------------|
Coffee Break: | 15:40 -- 16:00
--------------|

Session 4: Modeling and Simulation (16:00 -- 17:55)

16:00 -- 16:40
 Physics-based Modeling for Animation and
		Medical Applications
	Dimitris Metaxas (Invited Presentation)
                University of Pennsylvania, USA

16:40 -- 17:05
  Interactive Simulation of Surgical Cuts
	Daniel Bielser, Markus H Gross
                ETH Zuerich, Switzerland

17:05 -- 17:30
 Simulation of FLIR and LADAR Data Using
                Graphics Animation  Software
	Gavin Powell, Ralph Martin, David Marshall, Keith Markham
                 Cardiff University, UK

17:30 -- 17:55
 Modeling of Smoke Flow Taking Obstacles into Account
	Satoru Yoshida, Tomoyuki Nishita
                University of Tokyo, Japan

=================================
Day Two (Oct. 4, 2000, Wednesday)
==================================

08:20 -- 08:40: Registration

Session 5: Surface Modeling and Processing (08:40 -- 10:20)
====================================

08:40 -- 09:05
 The Intersection of Two Ringed Surfaces
        Hee-Seok Heo, Sung Je Hong, Myung-Soo Kim, Gershon Elber
                 Seoul National University, Korea

09:05 -- 09:30
 Interpolating and Approximating Moving Frames Using B-Spline
        Lizhuang Ma, Zhongding Jiang, K. Y. Tony Chan
                Nanyang Technological University, Singapore

09:30 -- 09:55
 Modeling an Implicit Surface with a Neural Network
        Manuel Carcenac, Adnan Acan
                Eastern Mediterranean University, TURKEY

09:55 -- 10:20
 Blending Pipe Surfaces with G^2 Continuous
                        Piecewise Quartic Algebraic Surfaces
        Falai Chen, Yuyu Feng
                 University of Science and Technology of China, China

--------------|
Coffee Break: | 10:20 -- 10:45
--------------|

Session 6: Dynamic and Subdivision Surfaces (10:45 -- 12:40)

10:45 -- 11:25
 FEM-Based Dynamic Subdivision Splines
        Hong Qin (Invited Presentation)
                State University of New York at Stony Brook, USA

11:25 -- 11:50
 A New Paradigm for Changing Topology During Subdivision
                        Modeling
        Ergun Akleman, Jianer Chen, Vinod Srinivasan
                Texas A&M University, USA

11:50 -- 12:15
 Subdivision Surface Fitting Using QEM-based Simplification
        Shingo Takeuchi, Takashi Kanai, Hiromasa Suzuki,
        Kenji Shimada, Fumihiko Kimura
                University of Tokyo, Japan

12:15 -- 12:40
 Dynamic PDE Surfaces with Flexible and General
                        Geometric Constraints
        Haixia Du, Hong Qin
               State University of New York at Stony Brook, USA

###################
LUNCH BREAK		12:40 -- 14:00
##################

Session 7: Meshes and Contours (14:00 -- 15:55)
===============================

14:00 -- 14:40
 Efficient Processing of Large 3D Meshes
        Hans-Peter Seidel  (Invited Presentation)
                Max-Planck Institute, Saarbrucken, Germany

14:40 -- 15:05
 Vertex Data Compression For Triangular Meshes
        Eung-Seok Lee, Hyeong-Seok Ko
                 Seoul National University, Korea

15:05 -- 15:30
 Efficient Coding of Non-Triangular Mesh Connectivity
        Boris Kronrod, Craig Gotsman
                Technion, Israel

15:30 -- 15:55
 Turning Unorganized Points into Contours
        Yong Zhou, Arthur W. Toga
                UCLA School of Medicine, USA

--------------|
Coffee Break: | 15:55 -- 16:20
--------------|

Session 08: Poster Presentations (16:20 -- 17:50)
=================================

==================================
Day Three (Oct. 5, 2000, Thursday)
===================================

08:20 -- 08:40: Registration

Session 9: Geometric Modeling (08:40 -- 10:20)
=============================

08:40 -- 09:05
 A Matrix-Based Approach to Reconstruction of
                        3D Object from Three Orthographic Views
        Shi-Xia Liu, Shimin Hu, Chiew Lan Tai, Jia-Guang Sun
                 Tsinghua University, China

09:05 -- 09:30
 Constrained And Aggregated Half Space Volume
                      Decomposition: Generating Cutting Patches
        Yong Lu, Rajit Gadh, Timothy J. Tautges
                 UW-Madison, USA

09:30 -- 09:55
 Using Isosurface Method for Visualizing
                the Envelope of a Swept Trivariate Solid
        Keneth I. Joy, Jason Conkey
                 University of California, Davis, USA

09:55 -- 10:20
 TEASAR: Tree-structure Extraction Algorithm
                        for Accurate and Robust Skeletons
        Mie Sato, Ingmar Bitter, Michael A. Bende, Arie Kaufman
                 SUNY at Stony Brook, USA

--------------|
Coffee Break: | 10:20 -- 10:50
--------------|

Session 10: Techniques with Video, Modeling from Volume and Photos
(10:50 -- 12:30)

10:50 -- 11:15
 Compression of Indoor Video Sequences using
                        Homography-Based Segmentation
        Tae-Joon Park, Shachar Fleishman, Daniel Cohen-Or,
        Dani Lischinski
                 Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute,
		 Korea

11:15 -- 11:40
  Cylindrical 3D Video Display Observable from All Directions
        Tomohiro Endo, Yoshihiro Kajiki, Toshio Honda, Makoto Sato
                Telecommunication Advancement Organization of Japan

11:40 -- 12:05
 Voxel-Coding for Tiling  Complex Volumetric Objects
        Yong Zhou, Arthur W. Toga
                UCLA School of Medicine, USA

12:05 -- 12:30
 Automated Texture Registration and Stitching for
                        Real World Models
        Hendrik P. A. Lensch, Wolfgang Heidrich, Hans-Peter Seidel
                 Max-Planck Institute, Saarbrucken, Germany

###################
LUNCH BREAK		12:30 -- 14:00
##################

Session 11: Animation (14:00 -- 15:40)
=======================================

14:00 -- 14:25
 Collision Detection for Clothed Human Animation
	Dongliang Zhang, Matthew M.F. Yuen
                The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology

14:25 -- 14:50
 Collision Adaptive Particle Systems
	Olaf Etzmuss, Bernhard Eberhardt, Michael Hauth,
	Wolfgang Strasser
                University of Tubingen, Germany

14:50 -- 15:15
 Field Morphing Using Curves and Shape Interpolation Techniques
	Henry Johan, Yuichi Koiso, Tomoyuki Nishita
                University of Tokyo, Japan

15:15 -- 15:40
 Control of Feature-Point-Driven Facial Animation
                        Using a Hypothetical Face
	Ming-Shing, Su Ming-Tat, Ko Kuo-Young Cheng
                Academia Sinica, Taiwan

--------------|
Coffee Break: | 15:40 -- 16:00
--------------|

Session 12: Human Computer Interaction  (16:00 -- 17:55)

16:00 -- 16:40
 Low Cost Immersive Displays: The Cubicle of the Future
	Mark Green (Invited Presentation)
                University of Alberta, Canada

16:40 -- 17:05
  A Heuristic Approach For Virtual Grasping With
                        A Data Glove
	Thomas Ullmann, Joerg Sauer
                 Mercedes-Benz Trucks Development

17:05 -- 17:30
 The Metric Cursor
	Terii Stein, Sabine Coquillart
                 INRIA, France

17:30 -- 17:55
 CubicalPath -- Dynamic Potential Fields for
               Guided Exploration in Virtual Environments
	Steffi Beckhaus, Felix Ritter, Thomas Strothotte
                German National Research Center for Information
                Technology, Germany

END
===

  P   A   C   I   F   I   C   -   G   R   A   P   H   I   C   S
  ------------------------------------------------2   0   0   0

  R E G I S T R A T I O N   F O R M
  ---------------------------------

  PARTICIPANT INFORMATION

       First Name_________________  Last Name__________________

       Institution_____________________________________________

       Mailing Address_________________________________________

       City_______________________  State______________________

       Zip/Postal Code____________  Country____________________

       Phone______________________  Fax________________________

       E-mail Address__________________________________________

  CONFERENCE REGISTRATION FEE

       Registration covers technical sessions, PG2000
       Proceedings, a banquet, lunches and coffee breaks on the
       three days of conference.

       [ ] Early Registration (received by 1st Sept.)  HK$3,500

       [ ] Late Registration (after 1st Sept.)         HK$3,900

  PAYMENT METHOD

       [ ] Bank Draft    [ ] AMEX    [ ] VISA    [ ]MasterCard

       Cardholder's Name_______________________________________

       Credit Card Number______________________________________

       Expiration Date_________________________________________

       Total Amount Authorized in HK$__________________________

       Signature___________________________  Date______________

  PAYMENT INFORMATION

       Bank draft should be made payable to "P C TOURS AND
       TRAVEL". Payment must be specified in Hong Kong Dollars.
       Actual daily exchange rate will be used (US$1.0 is
       approximately equal to HK$7.8). No personal checks will
       be accepted from overseas participants. Registration
       confirmation will be sent by e-mail within seven days of
       receiving registration forms with payment. Please inquire
       by e-mailing to pg2000 at csis.hku.hk if you do not receive
       confirmation in time. Requests for refund must be
       received by 20 September 2000.

       Fax this registration form to:
            (852) 2858 4141          c/o Dr. Wenping Wang

       or mail it to:
            Dr. Wenping Wang
            Department of Computer Science and Information Systems
            The University of Hong Kong
            Pokfulam Road
            Hong Kong

       Forms received without payment will not be processed.

  P   A   C   I   F   I   C   -   G   R   A   P   H   I   C   S
  ------------------------------------------------2   0   0   0

  H O T E L   R E S E R V A T I O N   F O R M

  PARTICIPANT INFORMATION

       Title    [ ] Prof.   [ ] Dr.   [ ] Mr.   [ ] Ms.

       Gender   [ ] Male    [ ]Female

       First Name_________________  Last Name__________________

       Mailing Address_________________________________________

       City_______________________  State______________________

       Zip/Postal Code____________  Country____________________

       Phone______________________  Fax________________________

       E-mail Address__________________________________________

  ACCOMPANYING PERSON

       Title    [ ] Prof.   [ ] Dr.   [ ] Mr.   [ ] Ms.

       Gender   [ ] Male    [ ]Female

       First Name_________________  Last Name__________________

  HOTEL ACCOMMODATION FEE

       Conference Hotel: Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel and Towers.
       Room rate for PG 2000 participants is HK$980.00 per room
       per night.

       Room type                     Period of stay

       Single______________room(s) | Check-in__________________

       Twin________________room(s) | Check-in__________________

       Double______________room(s) | Total_______________nights

       Total Amount Authorized in HK$__________________________

       Payment must be specified in Hong Kong Dollars. Actual
       daily exchange rate will be used (US$1.0 is
       approximately equal to HK$7.8).

  POLICY FOR HOTEL BOOKING

       Reservation: Please mail or fax the reservation form to
       P C Tours And Travel by 1 September 2000. No guarantee
       of booking after 1 September 2000.

       Payment: Full payment is required for guarantee of
       booking upon receiving our confirmation.

       Cancellation: One night cancellation charge will apply
       if booking is cancelled within 7 days prior to arrival.

       Refund: Refund for over payment will be done in Hong
       Kong. If any delegate does not eventually attend the
       conference, refund check will be sent by air mail.

  PAYMENT METHOD

       [ ] Bank Draft

       [ ] Telegraphic Bank Transfer

       [ ] American Express   [ ] VISA   [ ] MasterCard

       Cardholder's Name_______________________________________

       Credit Card Number______________________________________

       Expiration Date_________________________________________

       Signature___________________________  Date______________

  PAYMENT INFORMATION

       Bank draft should be made payable to "PC TOURS AND
       TRAVEL".

       Telegraphic bank transfer to: P C TOURS AND TRAVEL,
       Citibank, Hankow Centre Branch, Tsimshatsui, Kowloon,
       Hong Kong. A/C number 05933188.

       Payment or proof of payment should accompany this form
       and be sent to P C Tours And Travel by fax:
            (852) 2723 9044

       or by mail:
            P C TOURS AND TRAVEL
            B128, Royal Garden Hotel,