[python-users] [Fwd: [Europython-improve] Europython 2011 Election Results]

Andreas Schreiber Andreas.Schreiber at dlr.de
Mo Nov 9 19:12:16 CET 2009

:(

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: 	[Europython-improve] Europython 2011 Election Results
Datum: 	Mon, 9 Nov 2009 18:29:41 +0100
Von: 	Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se>
An: 	europython-improve at python.org

Well, the final talley is in, and Italy has beaten Germany.

You can look at the list of who voted at:
http://www2.openend.se/~lac/EP2011/Voterlist

You were all good, and nobody voted twice.  There was one spoiled ballot,
unless the affected party can manage to convice me that his mother
really did name him NOME COGNOME. :-)  In which case I may have some
harsh words for his mother. :-)

Conclusions:

1.  The German Organisation is very deep.

2.  The Italian Organisation is even deeper.

3.  Indeed, I think that _both_ organisations are larger than the
    current set of EuroPython volunteers.

4.  To my disappointment, I only counted 7 votes from past EuroPython
    Organisers.  That's one tenth of the total votes cast, and a very
    tiny fraction of the people who were eligible to vote.  Did you
    guys all forget, or couldn't you make up your minds?

5.  I think that the Italians were worried that I might accuse them of
    vote stuffing just because they got such a remarkable turnout. At
    any rate, nearly 2/3rds of the Italian votes came with an
    attached photograph, most wearing PyCON Italia staff tshirts,
    and a note saying 'I worked on the website for PyCON Italia 3' or
    'This is a picture of me working the registration desk at PyCON
    Italia 3 (I'm the tall guy)' and so on and so forth outlining what
    each had done in the past.

    And as far as I am concerned, this worked out as a marvellous
    strategy.  Given the poor turnout by former EuroPython organisers,
    this did come down to a measure of 'how large is your organisation',
    and with so many of the names on the list completely unknown to me,
    I did wonder how many of these organisers actually would work, both
    for their bids, and for Birmingham next summer.  The number of
    Italian votes that came with photographs of them working + past
    EuroPython Organisers who voted for Italy exceeded the German total
    + past EuroPython Organisers who voted for Germany.

6. Now we have to figure out how to mobilise 40 some odd Italians who
   have promised to help with Birmingham 2010.  Sounds like a challenge,
   to me.

Thank all of you for voting, and for all the work that went into making
the proposals in the first place.  I only wish that we could hold
EuroPython 2011 _both_ places.  And I strongly urge the Cologne organisers
to hold a conference in Cologne sometime, anyway.  I'd really like to
attend this one.

Thank you all,
mostly for being your most splendid selves,
Laura