Disk selection - disklist , additional.var

Thomas Roth t.roth at gsi.de
Wed Jul 24 21:09:01 CEST 2024

Hi all,

trying to install a box with two system SSDs and 8 NVME disks.

I have a hook 'partition.NVME' that can identify the system disks (from the output of hwinfo).
Incidentally, they come out as sda and sdb.

My hook the writes
 > disklist="sdb sda"
to /tmp/fai/additional.var

However, some other process creates another disklist, which lists all disks, in alphabetical order,
which means "disk1=nvme0n1", "disk2=nvme0n1".
And "disk1" and "disk2" are then used in the disk_config, putting the system on the NVMEs.

After stopping FAI at this stage, I can verify that /tmp/fai/additional.var indeed contains only sda
and sdb.

fai.log does confirm that FAI did call my hook partition.NVME, with an OK.
However, the fatal disklist is shown earlier:

FAI
- lists all defined classes
- runs task_defvar
- executes some .var scripts
- says "Defining variables from additional.var"
- and lists the disklist with all NVME devices

Then task_install is called, followed by partition.NVME.

This looks more like my hook being late, should be "defvar.NVME" instead? Doen't work.

The thing is that I have used such partition.X hooks numerable times, and did not encounter this issue.

Regards,
Thomas

Thomas Roth
Department: Informationstechnologie
Location: SB3 2.291

GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung GmbH
Planckstraße 1, 64291 Darmstadt, Germany, www.gsi.de

Commercial Register / Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Darmstadt, HRB 1528
Managing Directors / Geschäftsführung:
Dr. Katharina Stummeyer, Jörg Blaurock
Chairman of the Supervisory Board / Vorsitzender des GSI-Aufsichtsrats:
Ministerialdirigent Dr. Volkmar Dietz