Making sure to partition the right disk(s)

Diego Zuccato diego.zuccato at unibo.it
Fri Jan 19 15:33:02 CET 2024

Il 19/01/2024 10:12, Thomas Lange ha scritto:

> It may also work if you do a reinstallation via network and the kernel
> will find a partition with label MY-DATA. I guess this should also
> work.
Seems it does not work with network boot and default config.

I added:
logical -               120M:preserve_lazy     ext4  noauto
createopts="-L MY-DATA"
to disk_config and (after zapping clean the disk) it got created [*].
But it seems it doesn't get mounted (at least a custom script did not
find it mounted). I don't know FAI internals enough :(
Not a big issue, since it can be replaced by a few lines in a script:
#!/bin/bash
datadisk=/dev/disk/by-label/MY-DATA

if [ -e $datadisk ]; then
     mkdir -p /media/data
     mount $datadisk /media/data
     src=/media/data/$(hostname -s)
     if [ -d $src ]; then
         cp -r $src/ $target/
     fi
fi

[*] Currently wrestling with "preserved partition /dev/sda7 does not end
at a cylinder boundary, parted may fail to restore the partition"
messages in error.log... "disk_config" line have "align-at:1M", isn't it
enough?

--
Diego Zuccato
DIFA - Dip. di Fisica e Astronomia