install_packages: check for debian

Maximilian Stein m at steiny.biz
Tue Feb 20 17:31:25 CET 2024

Hi there,

to decide if it is running on a Debian system, install_packages(8)
switched to checking for existence of
$FAI_ROOT/var/cache/apt/pkgcache.bin a while ago [1].

Unfortunately, this does not always work in my tests with Bookworm, as
the file seems to be deleted and recreated during an apt update.
Therefore, install_packages does not check anymore if a package exists
and simply gives all packages to apt which then fails ("E: Unable to
locate package lilo"). Before, I only got a warning from
install_packages itself ("WARNING: These unknown packages are removed
from the installation list: lilo-").

Do you know a way to work around this (besides removing all non-existent
packages from package_config/)?

 From my point of view, I think that install_packages probably should
only check if apt-cache exists and is executable since this is the
command it needs to execute.

Best,
Maximilian

[1]: