FAI + SaltStack anybody?

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Fri Oct 6 18:21:15 CEST 2023

On Fri, Oct 06, 2023 at 05:21:30PM +0200, Henning Glawe wrote:
> Do you have a concrete reason for introducing Salt on top of FAI?

I don't wanna speak for the original poster, but your question sounds a bit
like "Do you have a concrete reason for introducing LibreOffice on top of
this Unix system which comes with emacs and LaTeX?" ;p

> FAI can be used to do most of your configuration management via
> ``fai softupdate``

yes, but Salt has features which FAI doesn't have, also the design is
very different and then there are tons of existing Salt receipts etc.

that said, two things about me, which are besides the point but will
probably entertain nonetheless: a.) I've looked at Salt some years
ago and didn't like it (too hard to debug was my main concern).
b.) since more than a decade (maybe more like 15y) I think that FAI
should mean "Fully Automatic Infrastructure" because indeed FAI can
do infrastructure management very well, thanks to softupdates! :-)

--
cheers,
	Holger

 ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
 ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  holger@(debian|reproducible-builds|layer-acht).org
 ⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀  OpenPGP: B8BF54137B09D35CF026FE9D 091AB856069AAA1C
 ⠈⠳⣄

No more excuses. Small actions can make a big difference. We recently switched
to paper straws on both of my private jets. (@lcamtuf)