FAI + SaltStack anybody?

Diego Zuccato diego.zuccato at unibo.it
Fri Oct 6 06:47:34 CEST 2023

Il 05/10/2023 15:54, Laura Smith via linux-fai ha scritto:
> Its been a while since I worked with Salt, but IIRC it sounds like what is not "clicking" is that you need to fix the TOFU problem.

Actually there are 2 distinct problems:
- pass the pubkey from the minion to FAI during the install (possibly in
an authenticated way)
- authorize that key in Salt from FAI

> Looking back through my notes, it seemshttps://docs.saltproject.io/en/latest/topics/tutorials/multimaster_pki.html  might be worth a read.

I don't understand. In my scenario, FAI is not a Salt master. And I
don't see how making it one could help. It would only double the burden.

> In particular, maybe "master_sign_pubkey: True" on the Salt master, "verify_master_pubkey_sign: True" on the minion, and the master pubkeys put in "/etc/salt/pki/minion/" on the minions.
> Then on Salt master all you have to do is approve the new connections as they come online.

I'd have to approve on *both* masters. :(

--
Diego Zuccato
DIFA - Dip. di Fisica e Astronomia