FAI + SaltStack anybody?

Diego Zuccato diego.zuccato at unibo.it
Thu Oct 5 14:59:40 CEST 2023

Hello all.

Does someone use FAI to install the base system that will be managed by
Salt?
I'm trying to integrate 'em but there's still something that doesn't
"click"...

My current idea is to use Salt to orchestrate the install, but maybe
it's better left to FAI? How can I "pass around" minion key so I don't
have to manually re-approve the new key every time?
The ideal scenario would be: target generates its keypair, sends the
pubkey to FAI that "certifies" it's from the system being installed and
passes it to Salt. Should I write a custom fai-monitor (that would be
needed anyway to disable netboot once system is reinstalled)?

TIA.

--
Diego Zuccato
DIFA - Dip. di Fisica e Astronomia