Net-boot arm64 with nfsroot, Re: Create fai-cd for other architecture?

Thomas Lange lange at cs.uni-koeln.de
Thu Jan 26 12:15:07 CET 2023

    > Which info do you need? Would the output of `ls -lR /boot` (on a booting
    > machine) be sufficient, or even too much? Any selections from dpkg output?
I'm not sure which infos I need. Maybe the pathes for grub.
I also need to know if some grub commands in fai-cd need to be called
with different parameters. What about --format=x86_64-efi? Do we need
to add some grub modules for --install-modules=...?
What about the xorriso call? There are also intel arch specific options.

I also have a small arm64 device here (Hikey960), currently updating it to
bullseye and try to install the fai packages on it.

    > I the meantime: what would I see if I properly assign a nfsroot but
    > "forget" to set the $FAI_* variables? Typing long command lines into grub
    > is so failure-prone...
Have a look at your pxelinux.cfg. There you see the parameters.

These are important
ro rootovl ip=dhcp root=1.2.3.4:/srv/fai/nfsroot,nfsvers=3

Others like FAI_CONFIG_SRC may be hardcoded inside the nfsroot in
/etc/fai/fai.conf. Not really sure if this still works.