FAI 6.0 released and new ISO images using Debian 12 bookworm/testing

Thomas Lange lange at cs.uni-koeln.de
Mon Jan 16 17:13:20 CET 2023

Hi all,

after more than a year, a new major FAI release is ready to download.

Following new features are included:

  * add support for release specification in package_config via release=<name>
  * the partitioning tool now supports partition labels with GPT
  * support partition labels and partition uuids in fstab
  * support for Alpine Linux and Arch Linux package managers in install_packages
  * Ubuntu 22.04 support added
  * Rocky Linux 9 support added
  * use zstd instead of gzip
  * fai-chboot: variable substitution for $IP and $HOST when copying a
    template
  * all customization scripts now write to scripts.log. The old
    behaviour can be enable by setting $FAI_USE_OLD_SCRIPT_LOGS
  * add support for NVme devices in fai-kvm
  * add ssh key for root remote access using classes
  * drop support of .asc signatures of your repository, use .gpg
    instead

Sure, we have a lot of bug fixes included.

Even FAI 6.0 will only be included into Debian bookworm, you can
install FAI 6.0 on a bullseye FAI server and create a nfsroot
using bookworm without any problems. The combination of a bullseye FAI
server with FAI 6.0 and a bullseye nfsroot should also work.

New ISO images are available at https://fai-project.org/fai-cd/

The FAI.me build service is not yet using FAI 6.0, but support will be
added in the future.