Send notification at the end of a deployment

Robert Markula robert at markula.org
Thu Mar 24 15:01:39 CET 2022

Hi Romain,

take a look at the chapter "Saving log files" in the FAI guide [1]. If
configured, FAI can save all logs to a remote log server via SSH.

That being said, I find it difficult to define when a host install
process has actually failed. There are often situations where an install
completes successfully, but the following bootup fails because some
minor thing broke during install, e.g. because GRUB hasn't been set up
correctly. And even if the system boots successfully, maybe a critical
component during install failed which prevents you from logging in remotely.

So I always check at least the FAI error.log on the log server to get a
quick glimpse if anything went wrong during install. On automated
systems I have mechanisms in place that essentially perform integrity
checks on the newly installed system and that are capable of fixing
select issues like a broken SSH access.

Cheers,

Robert

[1]