ubuntu basefiles and machine uuid

andrew bezella abezella at archive.org
Tue Jul 19 03:00:39 CEST 2022

hello -

a few months ago i noticed that most of the ubuntu focal/20.04 machines
that we had deployed were reporting the same machine id (stored in
/etc/machine-id).  i finally circled back and it appears the issue is
that, for an ubuntu basefile, debootstrap pulls in the dbus package
which generates a /var/lib/dbus/machine-id file.  if this file ends up
on the installed node, it overrides the FAI-emptied /etc/machine-id and
results in non-unique machine ids.

i've submitted a pull request[1] to exclude /var/lib/dbus/machine-id
from the basefile but thought i should check to see if this might
somehow be specific to our FAI configuration space/setup.  to others
who have deployed ubuntu: are you experiencing or have you already
worked around this issue?

thanks in advance.

	andy

1. https://github.com/faiproject/fai-config/pull/14