Transient secrets

Diego Zuccato diego.zuccato at unibo.it
Thu Jul 7 11:16:33 CEST 2022

The more I think about it, the more I convince myself that an USB key
(preferably connected to the internal USB connector) could be quite a
good compromise: cannot be stolen too easily (requires opening the
chassis), can be installed w/o requiring special skills, is cheap, and
stores "more than enough" :)
Now I only have to figure out how to reliably detect its presence during
install, then it's just matter of copying files.
Even better could be a "virtual key" connected via IPMI storage when
needed (even if data gets transferred in cleartext, it's over a "secured
network": only a fool would expose IPMI interface to unsecure networks!)...

--
Diego Zuccato
DIFA - Dip. di Fisica e Astronomia