LUKS, "no device found"

Ian Eure ian at retrospec.tv
Sat Jan 22 21:30:14 CET 2022

I’m running into an issue trying to get FAI to install onto an
EFI+LUKS+LVM disk setup on a laptop.  I’m using this config, which
is a combination of the example LVM_EFI config and "Plain disk +
LUKS + LVM2 example" and "Example using a GPT partition table and
EFI/ESP partition" from the setup-storage(8) man page.

    options>

    # entire disk with LVM, all in one partition

    disk_config disk1 disklabel:gpt fstabkey:uuid align-at:1M

    primary /boot/efi 512M vfat rw
    primary /boot	  512M ext2 rw,noatime
    primary -         4G-  -    -

    disk_config cryptsetup
    luks:"changeme" - disk1.3 - -

    disk_config lvm fstabkey:uuid
    vg vg1  disk1.3
    vg1-root     /       3G-      ext4    noatime,rw
    vg1-swap     swap    RAM:100% swap    sw

But, when I try to use this config, the install fails with:

    Using config file:
    /var/lib/fai/config/disk_config/LVM_LUKS_EFI
    Executing: wipefs -af /dev/sda1
    Executing: wipefs -af /dev/sda2
    Executing: vgchange -a y vg1
    Executing: wipefs -af /dev/vg1/root
    Executing: lvremove -f /dev/vg1/root
    Executing: head -c 2047 /dev/urandom | od | tee
    /tmp/fai/crypt_dev_sda3
    Executing: vgchange -a n vg1
    Executing: vgremove vg1
    pvremove  /dev/mapper/crypt_dev_sda3
    (STDERR)   No device found for /dev/mapper/cyrpt_dev_sda3
    Command had non-zero exit code

A similar config

I’m not sure what’s wrong.  Possibly "vg vg1  disk1.3" is trying
to put the LVM volume directly in the primary partition, instead
of the LUKS container?  But the "Plain disk + LUKS + LVM2 example"
example does this same thing (with disk1.1), and presumably that’s
correct.

Any pointers on what I’m doing wrong here?

Thanks,

  -- Ian