RAID Detection using intel VROC (VMD)

Sven Schumacher schumacher at tfd.uni-hannover.de
Thu Sep 16 10:52:02 CEST 2021

Hi Thomas,

>> Booting fai detects only the ssd and hdd, but not the raid-volumes. At that stage setup-storage fails, because I specified md124 for disk_config-file.
>
>> So two problems:
>> - how can I get fai to automatically detect the existing raid?
>> - how can I get grub-efi to find the grub.cfg after running update-grub later
>
> Did you check if FAI is loading the vroc driver? What is the device
> name of this Intel soft raid?

I just used mdadm without doing any modprobe or insmod, to get it recognize the raid. So I assume the kernel 5.10.0-8 includes the driver (kernel 5.10.0-4 wasn’t working).
When I tried “mdadm --detail-platform” with 5.10.0-4 there was no raid controller detected, using 5.10.0-8 there is some output telling me on which Ports the hdd and ssd are attached.

Sincerely

Sven Schumacher