GRUB_EFI/10-setup missing --force-extra-removable option?

CSCI Technician tech at csci.viu.ca
Wed Sep 1 22:40:24 CEST 2021

Hi

In scripts/GRUB_EFI/10-setup the final "else" clause does not include
the "--force-extra-removable" option for the "grub-install" command; the
other clauses do have this option. Is this a bug or is there a reason I
don't understand?

Lines 60-65:
-----
else
     $ROOTCMD grub-install --no-floppy --modules=part_gpt "$GROOT"
     if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
         echo "Grub installed on $BOOT_DEVICE = $GROOT"
     fi
fi
-----

The comment at the top of the file seems to indicate that this option
should be present in all cases.

I ask as I have run into the error on an older Dell 7040 model that has
the bug in the firmware where it looks for \EFI\boot\bootx64.efi instead
of \EFI\debian\grubx64.efi. The fix is to install grub with this option
present.

If the missing option is intentional, other than customizing this fai
script, any suggestions on a good solution for fixing this in my config?

Cheers,
Merlin
--

Merlin Hansen