Install error "package1 : Depends: package2 but it is not going to be installed"

Taras Damián Enrique dtaras at arsat.com.ar
Mon Jun 28 14:26:14 CEST 2021

On 28/06/2021 05:06, Steffen Grunewald wrote:
> On Fri, 2021-06-25 at 20:16:32 +0000, Taras Damián Enrique via linux-fai wrote:
>>> (a) do not install package1 at all, just package2 - and fill in after
>>>    rebooting (ouch, that wouldn't be FA anymore)
>>> (b) change package installation order to have package2 (which is an
>>>    implicit dependency right now) installed before even thinking about
>>>    installing package1
>>> (c) move installation of the whole bunch, or at least part of it, into
>>>    a hook
>> Hi Steffen,
>>
>> I have been using FAI for just a couple of months, but in my opinion
>> your best option could be (b).
>> You could achieve this by writing two simple scripts to be run by the
>> 'configure task' (put them under the proper directory in $FAI/scripts),
>> lets say '10-scripta' installs package2 and '20-scriptb' installs package1.
>> As they are run in alphabetical order you will get package1 installed
>> after package2.
> There's a possible minor problem with this - both packages get installed by
> different classes (and there's no 1:1 mapping, i.e., package2 is listed
> for multiple classes, while package1 only shows up for one of them IIRC).
> Since we're somewhat bound to class ordering rules, this may require more
> than just two scripts (and you probably mean hooks).

Hi Steffen, if the install order is package2 > package1 and package1 is
only installed from IIRC class, I think you could create a new class for
this particular installation (IIRC_NOP1 or anything else) that doesn't
include package1, and then install package1 by a config script (I don't
mean a hook, but I think you could also make it work that way). Just a
simple bash script that runs:

   apt-get -y -o Dpkg::Options::=--force-confdef -o
Dpkg::Options::=--force-confnew --fix-missing install package1

or

   apt-get -y -o Dpkg::Options::=--force-confdef -o
Dpkg::Options::=--force-confnew --fix-missing install
--no-install-recommends package1

Again, I'm new to FAI and have only a couple of months of experience
with it, but in my small testing environment, this works as you need.

Regards,
Damián