Weird generated hostname

Andreas Heinlein aheinlein at gmx.com
Fri Jun 18 08:37:52 CEST 2021

Hello,

I watched some weird behaviour of FAI today. It occurs when the IP address is assigned by DHCP and no hostname is supplied on the kernel command line.

I remember that FAI used to generate hostnames like '192-168-10-123' in that case.

Now it is '127-0-0-1/8 192-168-10-123'. Yes, including the slash and the space.

This leads to problems e.g. with apt-key; it wants to generate a temporary directory like '/etc/apt/trusted.gpg./.<hostname>. Since the hostname contains a slash and a space, this fails and subsequently the whole installation fails.

I cannot tell when exactly this changed; usually our existing hosts have hostnames assigend with DHCP, only sometimes we install new machines without assigning a hostname first.

Bye,
Andreas