updates to fai-cd

Sinh Lam sinh.lam at inviarobotics.com
Fri Jul 23 11:12:18 CEST 2021

Hi -

I’m running into an issue where it looks like some options in the xorriso
command is no longer valid when trying to make a fai-cd iso image.  I was
wondering if anyone has an updated fai-cd that accounts for this.

Details as follow :

fai-server - 5.10.3-buster1
xorriso - 1.4.2-4ubuntu1
ubuntu - 16.04.6 LTS

Here is what’s in the fai-cd script :

    echo "Writing FAI CD-ROM image to $isoname. This may need some time."
    xorriso -report_about HINT -as mkisofs -iso-level 3 \
        -iso_mbr_part_type 00 \
        -full-iso9660-filenames \
        -volid "$vname" -appid "$aname" \
        -eltorito-boot boot/grub/bios.img  \
        -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table \
        --eltorito-catalog boot/grub/boot.cat \
        --grub2-boot-info \
        --grub2-mbr $NFSROOT/usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/boot_hybrid.img \
        -eltorito-alt-boot -e EFI/efiboot.img -no-emul-boot \
        -append_partition 2 0xef $scratch/efiboot.img \
        -o $isoname -graft-points \
        --sort-weight 0 / --sort-weight 1 /boot \
        "$tmp" \
        /boot/grub/bios.img=$scratch/bios.img \
        /EFI/efiboot.img=$scratch/efiboot.img || die 12 "xorriso failed."

Some of these options are not valid in the version of xorriso that’s
available in 16.04 (or 20.04 for that matter).  I’ve even tried looking for
this version on a Debian server and they aren’t there.

I have several hundreds (roughly 800) mini servers that are deployed in the
field that needs updating and the only reasonable way is to use a USB key
to re-provision them.  Making a cd image using fai-cd would help
tremendously.

Thanks.

Sinh