FAI with pre-release bullseye yielding inconsistent network names

fai1107 at macrotex.net fai1107 at macrotex.net
Fri Jan 15 18:38:41 CET 2021

On 1/15/2021 1:07 AM, Thomas Lange wrote:

>      > I am attempting to build Debian "bullseye/sid" (pre-release bullseye)
>      > using FAI 5.9.4. The network interface names come out being inconsistet,
> Maybe you are missing this patch which is not in 5.9.4 included:
>
> https://github.com/faiproject/fai-config/commit/45a802ca5f0a7cc229edb4cedd1b22ab4f790ba4

I think I am narrowing down where the issue might be. I am seeing a
difference when booting between a buster and a bullseye NFS ROOT.

I do the initial FAI imaging using a buster NFS root and install buster
in /target. When I then run "chroot /target udevadm info
/sys/class/net/eth0" I see about 27 lines including a bunch of
ID_NET_NAME_* values.

I do the above again, but this time with a bullseye NFS root and install
bullseye in /target. When I then run "chroot /target udevadm info
/sys/class/net/eth0" I see only about 6 lines and, in particular, no
ID_NET_NAME_* values.

I created the bullseye NFS root in the same way as for buster (I think).
Why is there this large difference in the outputs of udevadm info?

Note that I used FAI 5.9.4 to create the NFS root for bullseye.