Bootable FAI installer USB stick without ISOHybrid?

Alexander Thomas alexander.thomas at esaturnus.com
Wed Feb 3 15:25:44 CET 2021

On Mon, 1 Feb 2021 at 20:26, Thomas Lange <lange at cs.uni-koeln.de> wrote:

> As I said before, ISOHybrid is not needed.
> Using fai-cd  -S it will only create a squashfs filesystem. This is
> normally booted via network, but maybe a start to create a bootable
> USB stick.
>

> Currently I have no time to work on this, but I'm happy to help you.

Thanks, Thomas.

We have already started to try a few things and the main problem now
seems to be to get dracut to play nice with an installer medium
formatted as FAT32 or NTFS. It lacks these modules and so far we
haven't been able to provide them. If you have any pointers as to how
to tackle this, that would be great.

We're also looking into a workflow where we still produce the ISO as
before and then instruct users to write it to a USB stick using Rufus
in its “ISO mode”, which basically unpacks the ISO onto a plain
Windows-friendly file system. This would be nice because we then still
have the ISO in case we need it (e.g. for a virtual CD drive). But
this runs into the same problem as mentioned above.

Regards,
Alexander