Python Lib for fai-do-scripts(1)

Maximilian Stein m at steiny.biz
Fri Dec 17 23:32:32 CET 2021

Hi all,

Today I am very pleased to announce the publication of pyfai [1], a
Python package providing Pythonic wrappers for the most important
commands in FAI customization scripts such as fcopy(8). More high-level
abstractions, e.g. to install systemd units, are planned and will follow
within the next months. The source code is available on Github [2] and
extensive documentation is provided on Read the Docs [3].

There are no official Debian packages yet (but planned). Until they
become available, I would recommend stdeb [4] (Debian package
python3-stdeb) to build a .deb package: `py2dsc-deb fai-0.1.0.tar.gz`

My current integration in FAI installation and softupdate is based on
the Debian package that I simply let install by install_packages(8).
During softupdate this is already enough to actually `import fai` in
Python customization scripts. During installation, however, Python needs
to load the package from the target system (unless pyfai is installed in
the installer system itself, too). Therefore, I set
`PYTHONPATH="$target/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages"` in `class/INSTALL.var`.

I am looking forward to your feedback/ideas/pull requests!

Best,
Maximilian

[1]: https://pypi.org/project/fai/

[2]: https://github.com/st31ny/pyfai