Remote touchless install with a static IP?

Thomas Lange lange at cs.uni-koeln.de
Fri Oct 2 12:26:51 CEST 2020

    > I tried that iso as the CD on a local vm as a sort of "getting started"
    > step, but it seemed to go into an infinite loop of installing.
    > I tried

You need to set the boot order of your VM to first local disk, then
CD. Otherwise you have this infinite loop.

    > After a few tries, this menuentry gets me to where in my vm it looks like
    > it's trying to do something with the .iso I've put into the hard drive:

    > menuentry "jake fai"  --class gnu-linux --id jake-fai4 {
    >     loopback loop (hd1,gpt2)/faime-PR5UDQU6.iso
    >     search --set=root --file /FAI-CD
You must boot the VM from CD. Do not put the ISO onto the hard drive
and try to boot from it. This will not work.

    > As a guess after looking through options, I tried adding this:
    > rd.live.overlay=/dev/sdb2:faime-PR5UDQU6.iso
I'm pretty sure it cannot work this way.

Let's see why your VM installation does not work.

Did you try to boot this ISO?
https://fai-project.org/fai-cd/faicd64-large_5.9.4.iso

Does it boot and does the installation start and finishes? If not,
please put the fai.log onto paste.debian.net so I can look at the
errors.

And maybe join the IRC channel #fai, then we can better debug further things.