Remote touchless install with a static IP?

Thomas Lange lange at cs.uni-koeln.de
Thu Oct 1 16:13:20 CEST 2020

Hi >>>>> On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 03:20:03 +0000, "Holland, Jake via linux-fai" <linux-fai at uni-koeln.de> said:

    > But it looks like the FAI docs really want me to use dhcp, and I
    > cannot do this thing.  I don't have control of the environment there
    > where the machine is located.  If that's truly a requirement for FAI,
    > I'll have to find another way.
Hi Jake,

you can build a FAI CD (or USB stick) which does not need any internet
connection. Have you already tried the FAIme service at
https://fai-project.org/FAIme/ ?

If you remove rd.neednet from the grub cmdline, the system will not
try to use dhcp. You also set an IP via ip=.......

    > I get the impression it's possible to do this from the grub menuentry,
    > but I haven't figured out how yet (Perhaps export?  But I'm not sure,
    > this seems a different use than the examples the grub docs give.)
During the FAI boot process we use dracut, which supports setting a
static IP. Have a look at the dracut.cmdline manual
https://manpages.debian.org/testing/dracut-core/dracut.cmdline.7.en.html