dracut: "No carrier detected on interface eth0", but interface later gets up

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Sun Jan 5 21:02:04 CET 2020

    > I set up a client using
    > fai-chboot -Iv -f verbose,sshd,createvt,reboot -u nfs://faiserver/srv/fai/config 90:1B:0E:C5:4E:48

    > The client is booting fine, entering dracut. However, eth0 won't reach state UP. From rdsosreport.txt (see attachment):
I guess your are booting via network card via PXE.
Does this client has more than one network card?

    > After some time, dracut is dropping to debug shell.
    > However, from there, I can mount nfsroot as follows ("ip -o link show up dev eth0" now (i.e. after about 205 sec.) gives state "UP"):
Maybe your network need too long to come up. Sometimes a switch can
cause problems if the spinning tree algorithm takes too long. Some
switches have the option fast port.

There's the option rd.timeout you can use.
There are more option called rd.net.timeout.***
See dracut.cmdline(7) for more info.

    > dracut:/# dhclient eth0
    > dracut:/# mkdir -p /mnt/nfs
    > dracut:/# mount.nfs 172.16.7.152:/srv/fai/config /mnt/nfs
    > Thus, configuration seems to be fine, I guess.
Yes, that looks good.

    > My fai-server is in a kvm running only tftp-server. dhcp-server is on another machine, setting "next-server" and "filename" for pxe-client. But this should be irrelevant, I guess.
That shouldn't be a problem.